I first got turned onto the joys of trout fishing with a spey rod a few years ago on a regular (regular?) steelhead jet-boat camp outing on the lower Deschutes. I'd brought along this rod from the shop mostly just to try it out.(I rarely get to go fishing at all at home in Michigan, let alone steelhead fishing and you do need sizable water to really experience the spey cast.) Anyway, I waded out near camp to a not-too-deep spot and began casting the rod. Right away I was struck by how smooth the rod action was. I'm something of a Winston fanatic and I wasn't sure they could translate that indescribably Winston-esque feel that I've been accustomed to in their smaller sizes into the language of a spey rod. Well, they did it. I passed that rod around camp and even die-hard steelhead spey anglers were wowed.
Since then we have sold these rods in all the sizes and their owners continue to sing praises. We all agree that they in fact felt fully "trout" (as opposed to salmon or steel head), not just like light switch rods or little spey rods. The overall light mass, full flex feel, and small grips were reasons why that was so. So go ahead and enjoy the blend of spey style casting with hookups on some sweet trout.
Micro Spey Features:
- Advanced Boron III technology, fast action
- Two-Handed Rods designed for trout fishing
- Very lightweight, powerful — can generate very high line speeds
- Special Winston-designed Microspey Two-Handed grip
- Handcrafted in Twin Bridges, Montana
- SECTIONS: 4
- GUIDES: TiCH finished stripper guide with nanoplasma ring.
- Special chrome snake guides
- REEL SEAT: Anodized aluminum, downlocking
- STORAGE: Premium graphite rod tube with logo tech rod sock
- WEIGHTS: 3106-4 4oz, 4110-4 45/8 oz, and 5116-4 5 oz.